Preparing for Orthodontic Treatment
Seeking straighter teeth but not ready for fixed braces? Removable dental appliances offer simpler, temporary straightening options before or instead of braces. As one of London’s top clinics providing removable appliances, 1A Orthodontics eases understated correction of minor-moderate alignment issues. Explore how removable options straighten smiles affordably!
What Are Removable Orthodontic Appliances?
Removable dental appliances consist of customized plastic mouthpieces moved periodically by orthodontists to guide teeth/jaw growth or subtly realign position. Removable appliance therapy also expands narrow palates or dental arches with slight constant pressure on the roof of your mouth before alignment.
With flexible plastic fitting around your existing teeth, these appliances stay fully invisible to others while worn. As your front teeth or bite issues improve, your London orthodontist like 1A Orthodontics adjusts the appliance keeping progress on track every few weeks.
Reasons for Choosing Removable Appliances
While most severe crowding or bite cases still require fixed braces, removable appliances offer simpler short-term correction if:
- You Have Mildly Crowded/Crooked Teeth
- Overjet or Small Gaps Exist
- Your Jaw Alignment Is Off
- Palatal Expansion Could Aid Alignment
- You Want Subtle Straightening Before Teen Braces
- You Prefer Avoiding Fixed Braces Appearance
If indicated by your initial exam, removable orthodontic appliances offer simpler fixes before considering braces down the road.
What’s the Process of Getting Removable Appliances?
Working with a skilled London orthodontist like those at 1A Orthodontics for removable appliances involves:
- Comprehensive Orthodontic Evaluation
- Digital Scans/Impressions of Your Teeth
- Customized Appliance Fabrication
- Fitting Appointment Ensuring Comfort
- Adjustment Appointments Every Few Weeks
- Eventual Transition to Retainers Afterward
The process spans around 6-12 months depending on your unique case’s severity for achieving subtle alignment improvements through a series of incremental appliance tweaks.
Types of Removable Orthodontic Appliances
Common varieties of removable appliances provided by clinics like 1A Orthodontics in London include:
- Clear Aligner Therapy – Several aligner trays worn in series gently shifting teeth
- Palatal Expanders – Widens upper jaw/palate making room before braces
- Tooth Positioners – Guide errantly positioned teeth into improved alignment
- Jaw Repositioning Devices – Encourage underdeveloped jaws to grow properly
- Retainers – Stabilize teeth after correction, preventing backsliding
Each appliance uses managed force moving your teeth, jaws or palate naturally over time following your orthodontist’s exact plan.
Benefits of Using Removable Appliances
As alternatives or precursors to fixed braces, benefits of using removable dental appliances involve:
- Improve Mild/Moderate Crowding Issues
- Close Minor Gaps Between Teeth
- Guide Jaw Growth Supporting Teeth Alignment
- Expand Narrow Palates Affecting Positioning
- Subtly Fix Minor Overjet Problems
- Quickly & Discreetly Align Teeth Before Braces In Teens
- Avoid Braces Altogether If Unnecessary Through Slight Correction
Prevent Relapse After Braces/Alignment Treatment
Success still depends on consistently wearing your prescribed dental appliance hours daily for incremental change spanning months. But removable options spare surgery or fixed braces for select minor cases.
Caring for Your Removable Appliance
To maximize removable appliance effectiveness while preventing damage, caring steps include:
- Wear Appliance Daily As Directed
- Rinse After Eating Before Re-inserting
- Brush Appliance Daily With Toothpaste
- Use Retainer Cleaning Solutions Too
- Bring To All Adjustment Visits
Keep Appliance Safe When Removed
Avoid hot water, harsh chemicals or damage that could impair tooth-moving progress requiring repairs. Removable convenience still necessitates conscientious wear and care.
Achieve a Healthier Smile Discreetly
If you want minor-moderate orthodontic correction without committing to fixed braces fully, consult 1A Orthodontics regarding removable aligner options. Their experts determine if custom removable dental appliances could resolve aesthetic or functional issues early on for confidence-boosting affordable smiles.
Removable Appliances Treatment Procedure
Getting treated with removable dental appliances by your London orthodontist involves:
Initial Consultation – Your orthodontist will perform complete oral exams using dental impressions/scans to decide if removable appliances could resolve your issues early on.
Custom Appliance Fabrication – If chosen as an appropriate subtle straightening method for now, your custom-fit appliance gets crafted from the impressions using biocompatible plastic.
Fitting Appointment – You return to the office to have your new removable appliance checked for comfort and taught proper insertion/removal and usage techniques for efficiency.
Incremental Adjustments – Every few weeks, small tweaks will get made to the appliance as your teeth shift gradually. This continues over a course of months until achieving the planned improvements.
Retention Phase – Upon completion, you’ll be fit for clear retainers to ensure straightened positions get well stabilized before wearing appliances less frequently.
Caring for your removable device and mouth during orthodontic treatment entails:
- Brush & Floss Normally Around Natural Teeth
- Clean Device Using Toothbrush, Paste & Retainer Solution
- Always Keep Appliance In Case When Removed
- Rinse Mouth Before Reinserting After Eating/Drinking
- Bring To All Adjustments & Progress Checks
- Wear Full Prescribed Daily Hours For Effectiveness
- Inform Your Orthodontist Of Any Discomfort
A few sensible precautions preserve your appliance’s progress and lifetime while preventing tooth decay simultaneously. Monitor for irritation indicating needed tweaks at future visits too. Avoid missing or shortcutting recommended wear hours unless absolutely necessary. Consistency is key with removable orthodontic appliances!